5 Things That You Probably Didn’t Know About the WWE Triple Crown Championship
Posted on August 12th, 2012 by Cassidy
WWE Triple Crown Championship
Though it is rarely mentioned on television or in storylines, any WWE Superstar who wins a World Title (WWE or World Heavyweight), the Intercontinental Title, and the WWE Tag Team Title in their career is considered a WWE Triple Crown Champion. With his winning of the Intercontinental Title on the 1,000th Episode of RAW, The Miz became the twenty-fifth Triple Crown Champion in history. Up until 2010, the World Tag Team Championship counted towards the Triple Crown and, prior to 2002, the WWE Title was the only World Title that would count towards winning the Triple Crown. Now that you know what the Triple Crown Championship is, let’s take a look at five things you probably didn’t know about the Triple Crown:
1. Of the twenty-five Triple Crown champions, seven of them (Pedro Morales, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Eddie Guerrero, Ric Flair, & Edge) are also WWE Hall of Famers.
2. CM Punk currently holds the record for achieving the Triple Crown the quickest as Punk only took 203 days to acquire the World Heavyweight Title, Intercontinental Title, and World Tag Team Title. Punk took the record from former holder, Diesel, who achieved it in 227 days.
3. Despite being recognized as one of the two mid-card championships, with the Intercontinental Title, in the WWE since 2003, the company does not recognize the United States Championship as a part of achieving the Triple Crown Title.
4. Two of the biggest Superstars in the WWE, John Cena and The Undertaker, are yet to achieve the Triple Crown Title as neither man has ever held the Intercontinental Championship. Cena has held the WWE, World Heavyweight, World Tag Team, & WWE Tag Team Titles, while Undertaker has held the WWE, World Heavyweight, & World Tag Team Titles. Alternatively, if Cody Rhodes, Santino Marella, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, or William Regal win either the WWE or World Heavyweight Title, then they would become a Triple Crown Champion. Rhodes has won the Intercontinental, World Tag Team, & WWE Tag Team Titles, Santino has won the Intercontinental & WWE Tag Team Titles, Kofi has won the Intercontinental, World Tag Team, & WWE Tag Team Titles, McIntyre has won the Intercontinental & WWE Tag Team Titles, and Regal has won the Intercontinental & World Tag Team Titles.
5. Six Triple Crown Champions have left no dispute as to their legitimacy of holding the Triple Crown Title by having won the WWE, World Heavyweight, Intercontinental, World Tag Team, & WWE Tag Team Titles throughout their careers as Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kane, Chris Jericho, Edge, & Big Show have all achieved this honor.