Eugene Dinsmore is a fast-track to success: he’s pally with The Rock, Regal, Benoit and Y2J to name a few and has already humiliated The Coach on his debut PPV, Bad Blood. Eugene is proving to the wrestling world (and very admirably – I might add) that he can succeed in life as much as the Rain Man ever did. Eugene is a hero, Eugene is an autistic savant, Eugene is undefeated, Eugene has a cult following, Eugene is a comic genius, Eugene = RATINGS.
But could Eugene be the next Heavyweight Title contender?
This week’s Raw saw Eric Bischoff tell a distraught Kane that he has to announce a new number one title contender. Unfortunately for Kane, it wasn’t him. Triple H tells Eric that since he won the Hell In A Cell slugfest against HBK, that he should be number one contender, and rightly so. But Bischoff says there is someone else who is undefeated who also deserves a go: that’s right…Eugene.
How many matches do you have to win these days to get a title shot? Gail Kim won two matches, Eugene has won four – five, if you include next week’s possible victory over Triple H. Surely, WWE can not allow this to happen? Can they?
I really can’t pick a winner, I really can’t see where this is going (kudos to the WWE for that, I suppose), but I’ll run through some possible outcomes.
1. Raw is in Miami next week, and who comes from Miami? Yep, Eugene’s mate, The Rock. This seems the most logical outcome: Rocky comes down and Eugene wins. Eugene has his title shot at a PPV; after all, it won’t be at Summerslam…
2. Kane is on the warpath, again; could Kane come down to the ring, batter everyone in sight and be granted a title shot rematch? Seems likely, especially as Kane’s stock has gone through the roof after his gruesome throat-crushing of HBK.
3. Eugene wins cleanly. Eugene uses his great roll-up and bridge combo and Triple H loses the match. Just joking, kids.
4. Eugene is at Triple H’s mercy: Trips has his way with Eugene after initial grappling. Trips lays a beatdown so hard on the poor savant that William Regal throws in the towel and Triple H wins. This also seems like a likely outcome.
5. Triple H Pedigrees Eugene for the pin in what turns out to be a match bordering on “scandalous squash”.
So what will happen? Will Triple H do the biggest job EVER? To be honest with you: this really is a scenario that I just can’t call. I simply cannot imagine Triple H losing to Eugene. I cannot imagine Eugene getting a title shot ahead of The Game, even if it means Triple H has multiple title shots leading up to Summerslam. Triple H has to win, doesn’t he?