No Way Out, the final WWE PPV before WrestleMania was held on Sunday, February 20 in Pittsburgh, PA. Here’s all that went down.
1. Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio defeated The Basham Brothers to capture the WWE Tag Team Titles in a match that went 4 minutes too long at 14 minutes. The start was poor with the Basham’s isolating Eddie and Rey in turn. The win came when Rey and Eddie did a spot of cheating with the belts, confusing the ref and Basham’s.
2. Booker T beat John Heidenreich by DQ when he was hit by a steel chair. This ‘match’ was the pits.
3. Chavo Guerrero captured the WWE Cruiserweight title in a 6-man elimination rules match over Akio, Funaki, Shannon Moore, Spike Dudley and Paul London. This was a good match but the crowd were not into it and it was too short. London has really started to reming me of Ricky Steamboat in the way he looks.
4. The Undertaker beat Luther Reigns with a tombstone piledriver in a match that meant nothing and was drivel to watch.
5. John Cena beat Kurt Angle in a WrestleMania #1 contenders match after 19:20. This was easily match of the night featuring many good chain moves and a gripping finish. Surprisingly, there was no Shawn Michaels.
6. John Bradshaw Layfield defeated Big Show in a Barbed Wire Steel Cage match to retain the WWE title. This was a dull match, but one that was soaked in blood.
– After the match Dave Batista ran down and took out the cabinet with JBL escaping. As Layfield moved towards the exit, though, John Cena came out and put him through a table.
*Overall, No Way Out was exciting in parts, but very poor in the ring. I would give it 5/10.