The first WWE SmackDown! of 2008 was taped on Sunday, December 30, 2007 from the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, VA to air on January 4, 2008.
- "Beat The Clock*" Match: Non-Title: Finlay def. MVP by pin following a shillelagh shot to set the time to beat at 9:46 (9 minutes and 46 seconds).
- Mixed Tag Match: Kenny Dykstra & Victoria def. Chuck Palumbo & Michelle McCool by Victoria pinning Michelle McCool following the Widow’s Peak.
- "Beat The Clock" Match: Chavo Guerrero def. Funaki by pin following the Gory Bomb and beat the clock and set a new time to beat of 6:02.
- "Beat The Clock" Match: 2-on-1 Handicap Match: Batista & The Edge-Heads (Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins) fight to a No Contest when the time limit expires.
- Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore def. Deuce N’ Domino by Shannon Moore rolling up Deuce.
- "Beat The Clock" Match: Special Guest Referee- Matt Striker (ECW): The Undertaker (SmackDown!) & Mark Henry (SmackDown!) fight to a No Contest when the time expires after Matt Striker refused to make the 3 count for The Undertaker.
- Final "Beat The Clock" Match: Non-Title: Rey Mysterio def. Edge by pin following the 619 Splash to beat the clock and become the #1 Contender for the World Heavyweight Title.
- Edge Vs. Rey Mysterio
- MVP Vs. Finlay
- The Undertaker Vs. Mark Henry
- Batista Vs. The Edge-Heads
- Chavo Guerrero Vs. Funaki
- Deuce N’ Domino Vs. Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore
- Kenny Dykstra & Victoria Vs. Chuck Palumbo & Michelle McCool
*The rules of the "Beat The Clock" Match(es) are that the first match in the series will see the two or more competitors in the match will compete and try to beat their opponent(s) in the shortest amount of time so it would make it as difficult as possible for anyone else competing in the matches that follow to beat their opponent(s) in a shorter time than the previous match. Once the time is set, it will be the burden of the other competitors to try and get a shorter match time in their respective matches, if they suceed, a new time to beat is set and then the process continues likewise. However, if the clock counts to 0:00 on any of the matches with the exception of the first match, then both/all of the competitors are out of contention to win the series and the match ends then and there and is declared a No Contest if they do no beat the clock. Rey Mysterio won the series of matches to face Edge for the World Heavyweight Title at the Royal Rumble on January 27 in Madison Square Garden.
This edition of SmackDown! saw two debuts- the first was the debut of Jonathan Coachman as JBL’s replacement as the SmackDown! Color Commentator. The second debut was that of Diva Search Contestant, Lena Yada, she will be a backstage interviewer on SmackDown. No word on why Anastacia isn’t continuing her role as an interviewer.
When Cole & Coachman did the rundown of the Royal Rumble card, it was revealed that JBL will go one-on-one with Chris Jericho at the event. This will be JBL’s in-ring return to pay-per-view. It’s expected he will make his in-ring return on RAW in the coming weeks.