One night after WWE TLC, the 864th edition of Monday Night RAW was a three-hour special to present the 2009 Slammy Awards, and it came to you, live, from the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, TX. Five-time Emmy Award winning comedian, Dennis Miller, would host the special with RAW, SmackDown, & ECW Superstars & Divas appearing on the show.
Slammy Award Winners
- Superstar of the Year: John Cena
- Diva of the Year: Maria
- Tag Team of the Year: Jeri-Show (Chris Jericho & Big Show)
- Breakout Star of the Year: Sheamus
- Match of the Year: The Undertaker Vs. Shawn Michaels from The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania
- RAW Guest Host of the Year: Bob Barker
- Shocker of the Year: CM Punk forces Jeff Hardy out of the WWE after winning a Steel Cage Match
- "Oh My!" Moment of the Year: Michael Cole vomits on Chris Jericho
- Extreme Moment of the Year: Jeff Hardy uses the Swanton Bomb off of a ladder onto CM Punk
- 6-Man Tag Match: Christian, Kane, & The Great Khali (in his in-ring return) def. William Regal, Ezekiel Jackson, & Vladimir Kozlov by The Great Khali pinning Vladimir Kozlov following a big chop.
Vladimir Kozlov tagged himself into the match and quickly lost the match for his team.
- Kofi Kingston def. Cody Rhodes by DQ after Ted DiBiase interferes.
- Legacy def. Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne by Cody Rhodes pinning Evan Bourne following Cross Rhodes.
Following the disqualification ending to the Kofi Kingston Vs. Cody Rhodes match, Guest Host Dennis Miller made the match a tag match.
- Superstar of the Year Tournament: First Round: John Cena def. CM Punk by submission to the CSTF to advance.
- Superstar of the Year Tournament: First Round: Non-Title: Randy Orton (with Legacy) def. The Undertaker by Count-Out to advance.
Utilizing a distraction by Legacy, Randy Orton hit the RKO on The Undertaker on the outside of the ring, which led to the count-out victory for Randy Orton.
- Unified WWE Tag Team Championship: Jeri-Show def. D-Generation X (c) by DQ after DX shoves the referee down; DX (c) retains.
- 6-Man Tag Match: John Morrison, Mark Henry, & Yoshi Tatsu def. Drew McIntyre, The Miz, & Zack Ryder by Yoshi Tatsu pinning Zack Ryder following the Buzzsaw Kick.
- 14-Diva Tag Match: Mickie James, Melina, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, Maria, & The Bella Twins def. Michelle McCool, Layla, Beth Phoenix, Maryse, Natalya, Rosa Mendes, & Alicia Fox by Mickie James pinning Rosa Mendes following the Mickie-T.
- Superstar of the Year Tournament: Finals: John Cena def. Randy Orton by pin following the Attitude Adjustment to become the 2009 Superstar of the Year.
- Randy Orton Vs. The Undertaker
- John Cena Vs. Randy Orton
- John Cena Vs. CM Punk
- Legacy Vs. Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne
- Christian, Kane, & The Great Khali Vs. William Regal, Ezekiel Jackson, & Vladimir Kozlov
- John Morrison, Mark Henry, & Yoshi Tatsu Vs. Drew McIntyre, The Miz, & Zack Ryder
- Unified WWE Tag Team Championship
- Kofi Kingston Vs. Cody Rhodes
- 14-Diva Tag Match
The three-hour extravaganza celebrating the 2009 Slammy Awards kicked off with Guest Host Dennis Miller, who showed his appreciation and support of the troops. The Guest Host then brings out R-Truth & Jillian to present the Slammy Award for the 2009 Tag Team of the Year. The prestigous Slammy went to the former Unified WWE Tag Team Champions Jeri-Show, who beat out new Unified WWE Tag Team Champions D-Generation X, as well as Legacy & The Hart Dynasty, for the award! Chris Jericho & Big Show come out to accept their Slammy and Jericho proclaims Jeri-Show as being the best team in history! Jericho then thanks himself for selecting Big Show as his partner, before Big Show vows that Jeri-Show will regain the tag titles. Jericho then announces that they will get their rematch later on in the evening and vows to prove that they are “the best team of all time”! Can Jeri-Show recapture the Unified WWE Tag Team Titles just one night after losing them to DX?
In 6-Man Tag action, ECW Champion Christian teamed with Kane & The Great Khali to defeat the dysfunctional trio of William Regal, Ezekiel Jackson, & Vladimir Kozlov. The end of the contest came after Vladimir Kozlov tagged himself into the match and lost the match in embarassingly quick fashion!
ECW General Manager Tiffany & SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long presented the Slammy Award for the 2009 Breakout Star of the Year, which went to the new WWE Champion Sheamus! The new champion came out to accept his award and asked if he is being taken “seriously” now that he is the WWE Champion. “The Celtic Warrior” then proclaims that John Cena will never take the WWE Championship from him! Will Sheamus stay true to his word? When will John Cena seek his mandatory rematch for the title?
After losing to Randy Orton at WWE TLC, Kofi Kingston was set to go one-on-one with one of Orton’s protégés, Cody Rhodes, but the match quickly ended once the other half of Legacy, Ted DiBiase got involved! Legacy double-teamed Kofi until Evan Bourne made the save! Guest Host Dennis Miller then announced that Legacy would face Kofi & Bourne in a tag match!
Showing why they were in the running for the 2009 Tag Team of the Year, Legacy picked up the win over the high-flying team of Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne.
Santino Marella & Vickie Guerrero appear to announce the 2009 Shocker of the Year, which went to CM Punk for Punk forcing Jeff Hardy to leave the WWE!
With four Superstars up for the 2009 Superstar of the Year, a four-man tournament was held to determine which Superstar would earn the honor. In the first match of the tournament, former WWE Champion John Cena was able to defeat former World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk to advance in the tournament!
Following his victory over CM Punk, John Cena spoke about his loss to Sheamus and apologized to anyone he “let down” by losing the WWE Title. Cena then vowed that what happened at WWE TLC will not happen again and that he “can’t be stopped”. Cena then made the bold declaration that he will not lose another match until he regains the WWE Championship! Can Cena stay true to this promise?
Before he and Shawn Michaels defended their newly won Unified WWE Tag Team Titles against former champions Jeri-Show, Triple H made an appearance to announce the 2009 Match of the Year, which went to the classic showdown between The Undertaker & Shawn Michaels at The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania!
Shawn Michaels came out and accepted the award and stated that he is “proud” of his match with The Undertaker and says that he “can beat” The Undertaker before HBK challenges The Undertaker to a rematch at WrestleMania XXVI! How will The Undertaker respond to this challenge for a rematch? Can Shawn Michaels really end the undefeated WrestleMania streak of The Undertaker?
The tournament to determine the 2009 Superstar of the Year continued as World Heavyweight Champion The Undertaker squared off with Randy Orton! The end of the match came when Legacy came out and distracted The Undertaker. The distraction by Legacy allowed Randy Orton enough time to recover and hit Undertaker with the RKO on the outside of the ring! Following this devastasting maneuver, Orton narrowly beat Undertaker getting in the ring to get the count-out victory! With it down to two very familiar adversaries in John Cena & Randy Orton, who will emerge as the 2009 Superstar of the Year?
WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon appeared on the show and presented the Slammy Award for the 2009 RAW Guest Host of the Year, which went to Bob Barker!
The Unified WWE Tag Team Titles were on the line as new champions D-Generation X defended the gold against former champions and 2009 Tag Team of the Year, Jeri-Show. The legendary joking duo of DX started and ended the match by Shawn Michaels kneeling behind the referee and Triple H shoving the referee, which caused the quick, and intentional, disqualification! After the match, Triple H reminded Chris Jericho that he just had his rematch! Shawn Michaels added that, technically, Jericho is “trespassing” on RAW seeing as he is a SmackDown Superstar and he just had his rematch! DX then brings out some one-night only DX recruits to force Jericho out of the building! ECW Champion Christian, Shelton Benjamin, R-Truth, Finlay, Cryme Tyme, & The Hurricane “assisted” Chris Jericho all the way out of the arena! Now that Chris Jericho & Big Show are no longer the tag team champions, is this the end of Jeri-Show?
Carlito, Eve Torres, & Chris Masters appeared and presented the 2009 Extreme Moment of the Year award, which went to Jeff Hardy and his Swanton Bomb off of a ladder to CM Punk! Jeff’s brother, Matt, accepted the award for his brother, but was quickly hit with a cheap shout by Carlito! Chris Masters responded by locking Carlito in the Masterlock and throwing Carlito to Matt Hardy so that Matt could deliver a right hand of his own!
In a 6-Man Tag match, the team of John Morrison, Mark Henry, & Yoshi Tatsu defeated the team of the new Intercontinental Champion Drew McIntyre, United States Champion The Miz, & Zack Ryder.
Following a huge 14-Diva Tag Match featuring the nominees for Diva of the Year, the 2009 Diva of the Year, as voted on by the fans on WWE.com, was Maria! However, Batista pulled a “Kanye” and interrupted the proud Diva’s speech to state that he was “robbed” of the World Heavyweight Title at WWE TLC before “The Animal” was escorted from the building!
Abraham Washington, Tony Atlas, & everyone’s favorite mostly-nude male stripper, Big Dick Johnson, presented the 2009 “Oh My!” Moment of the Year, which went to RAW Play-by-play Commentator Michael Cole for his “vintage” vomit that he got on Chris Jericho at the SmackDown 10th Anniversary celebration!
Former Yankees outfielder, Johnny Damon, will serve as the Guest Host on next week’s RAW with some “WWE Secret Santas”! What will the MLB free agent have in store for RAW?
Staying true to his word to not lose a match until he regains the WWE Championship, John Cena defeated long-time rival Randy Orton in the Finals of the Superstar of the Year Tournament to earn the 2009 Superstar of the Year award! After the match, the new WWE Champion, Sheamus, came out and proudly held the WWE Title in the air in front of Cena. When will Cena get his rematch for the WWE Championship? Can Cena defeat “The Celtic Warrior” and regain the title?